Monday, February 11, 2008

What do you do?

So what do you do when your neighbor has crossed a line with you and her daughter has also been a bad influence on your daughter? Do you try to discourage a friendship? Do you limit the activity?

My daughter and my neighbors daughter have gotten close in the last 6 months or so. The neighbor's daughter is a year and a half older than mine and knows WAY too much for a 9 year girl. And my daughter listens to EVERYTHING her friend says. She was over at their house and they googled kissing... baby girl has no clue what googling is... or should I say she HAD no clue. And most recently, she commented on someone with a "uni-brow" something she learned from the friend. Now I know that one is kind of funny but the kissing? not so funny. I also learned that neighbor friend knows what an alcoholic is and what it means to be gay. Again - is it me or is 8 years old too young to know what an alcoholic is or what sexual orientation a person is - not to mention the how to's of kissing a boy.

So today when she asked if baby girl could spend the night my answer was no. A firm no. This time I managed to escape - but what do I do about next time? I can't continue to avoid the sleepover question forever. It's a sticky situation that's for sure!

Is it me or am I over reacting? No? I didn't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment